Saturday, November 29, 2008

Permission....in Public

Setup:

After a wonderful thanksgiving dinner with very close friends we are scatter around the living room and kitchen. My wife and I are sitting at the table with another couple drinking coffee.

What Happened Next:

My friend and I are discussing golf. We play alot together and are hoping tha the weather gods will allow us to play this weekend. He glances at his wife and says, "I think I can get out for a quick 9 tomorrow." At the same time, she nods with a "we aren't doing anything anyway" sorta look.

I say, "Great. So can I." I then turn to my wife and she looks at me and says, "No, you can't. You didn't ask for permission first."

Stunned and turning multiple shades of red, I turn back to my friend and his wife and laughingly say, "Ah, damn, I always forget that (to ask)." We all chuckle and I throw in something like, "I'll work on her and let you know."

Later she says you know you can (play golf) but you have to ask first. So like At All Times, I too am on a high!

2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, I just love it when Jane demonstrates her power in front of friends like that, especially other women. It gives you a warm feeling inside to know that she cares enough to show you up in front of friends and to exert her control to embarass you.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Susan's Pet said...

That is great.

I seldom say or do the right thing when I am embarrassed, and hindsight it 20/20. What would have made this situation sweeter is if you had responded to your wife with contriteness instead of responding to you friends by "laughing it off".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home